Sunday, January 27, 2013

Window Display Final Reveal

Remember that Window Display project I had from last semester? If not, you can find it here

I'm so sorry it took me this long to post this, life has been extremely stressful lately. 
To briefly recap: we were assigned a group project to create a window display concept, pitch it to the "company" and then create it using whatever we could find. 

I was really inspired by the whole "dark fairytale" trend that was so popular with movies like "Snow White and the Huntsman" and "Red Riding Hood." I came up with the concept, the design, and most of the parts of the actual display. Most of my group members were really helpful when it came time to putting up the display, but group projects are always frustrating. They didn't really know what they wanted to do, and kind of gave me the reins when it came to creating this project. So, I ran with it.
 It was probably the most labor-intensive project I've done in college so far. All in all, it took me 15+ hours to make the black mask, 6 hours to cut out each branch, and 2 days to put the entire display together. We ran into countless issues, from dressing the mannequins (have you tried getting skinny jeans on a stiff, spread-legged mannequin?) lighting, getting the tulle "fog" to lay down properly, and making sure the mask didn't fall down. We also locked ourselves out of the display one night, with all of the christmas lights on. Fun times. 

We also had limited resources (money) and worked with the props and mannequins that we were given, so the final result was far from perfect. It was close to what we had envisioned, and there was at least potential for greatness. With the right resources, it could have been executed far more effectively. 

 **I apologize for the quality of the photos. The window could not have been placed at a worse spot in the building. The glare from the hallway, windows, and classrooms was terrible, and these were the best shots I could get**
The chronic over-achiever. You can see the inspiration/mock up board behind me that we had to pitch to the class. I laid the entire window out on the floor of the campus library with mathematic precision, created a template for the mask and branches, and painstakingly cut each one out. My hand twitched involuntarily for days after. Me and exacto knives have had enough of each other for a lifetime. You should have seen the looks I got from students walking through. 
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?
Does the Wolf's mask look familiar? 
I may or may not have used it as part of my Halloween costume...
The basket in Red's hand was an afterthought, and I always thought it looked stupid. But we were so tired at that point, we just let it fly. 
My boyfriend pointed out that Red look a lot like Assassin's Creed with the red hood pulled over her eyes. (It's actually a red alpaca infinity scarf my mom knit for me)
We tried to create a dapper, more fashion-savvy wolf, rather than the cunning beast from the fairytales. 
We wanted the white tulle on the floor to create the illusion of mist or fog rolling around their feet in the dense forest. It was a pain in the butt to set up. 
I hope you enjoyed my display! Even though I didn't like my Visual Merchandising professor, this course made me realize that this is what I want to do someday. Working on store layouts, in-store displays and window displays to draw customers in and entertain them-- right up my alley. My dream job would be to do store/window displays for Anthropologie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment